Log In | Subscribe | |

London Fire Brigade issue warning re kitchen fires

Editorial Staff

London's fire brigades are busy and there are several types of fire that happen more often than they should. One of those is kitchen fires some of which are caused when cooking is left unattended. It's easy to do that when so many devices these days have timers built in but, London Fire Brigade says "You should never leave cooking unattended – if you have to leave the room or the house, make sure to turn the heat off before you do.”

It's issued a list of safety measures that are applicable no matter where you live (except, of course, to change to emergency number to that of your country)

How to prevent cooking fires

• Avoid leaving cooking unattended
• Don't cook if you are tired, have been drinking alcohol or taking medication that might make you drowsy
• Take care not to lean over hot hobs and keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob
• Be careful to keep the oven, hob, cooker hood and grill clean to avoid a buildup of fat and grease, which could ignite and cause a fire
• Use spark devices to light gas cookers - they are much safer than matches or lighters as they don't have a naked flame
• Double check the cooker and hob are turned off when you've finished cooking
• Check toasters are clean and placed away from anything that can catch fire
• Never put anything metal in the microwave
• Never use a barbecue indoors or on a balcony - burning or smoldering fuel can cause carbon monoxide poisoning
• Supervise children and pets in the kitchen at all times and keep matches and saucepan handles out of reach

If a pan catches fire

• Don't tackle the fire yourself and don't attempt to move the pan
• Never throw water over a fire as it could create a fireball
• Turn off the heat, if it is safe to do so
• Leave the room, close the door, shout a warning to others and call 999

 


 

Click the Ad: the link opens in a new page

hahagotcha